About Camp Singing Hills
Camp Singing Hills is located just outside Waterville, Minnesota, approximately 25 minutes west of Faribault and 70 minutes south of Minneapolis. Singing Hills has 160 acres of beautiful forests, as well as a beach on Fish Lake. Enjoy activities including hikes, boating, archery, and low ropes in the summer and snowshoeing in the winter.
Singing Hills History
In 1958, our local Girl Scout Council handed Jean Ann Lundholm of Wascca a large order. She was to find a “large camp with its own lake” to be used as a resident camp. For more than a year, Mrs. Lundholm spent her weekends searching, talking to owners, and hiking through the woods. In late 1959, she found the Fish Lake site with 160 acres of beautiful wilderness, including a great belt of hardwood forest. In 1961, the sale of this land closed, and Camp Singing Hills was born.
At first, the land was used for rustic camping by older Girl Scouts, who held a 12-day session at the camp each year. In 1966, ground was broken on the first developments, which included a dining hall, tent platforms, unit shelters, a shower house, and latrines. More than a thousand people joined the dedication of Camp Singing Hills after the buildings were completed the following year.
Developments have continued at Camp Singing Hills over the years, adding an infirmary, trading post, offices, and other camp facilities. Girls gather for Scout’s Own ceremonies and all-camp activities on the hewn-log benches at the Green Cathedral. Today, there is one unit of tent cabins called Wind Song, one unit of cabins called Shady Glen, and one group of platform tents called Echo Ridge.
Girls swim and sail on our Fish Lake, and canoe on the nearby Lake Tetonka, which extends to the Mississippi River at Red Wing. Singing Hills also provides opportunities to take part in arts and crafts, archery, outdoor skills, sports and games, music, and nature education.